Re: New unified amd64-install.img does not work with some older hardware

Hi David,

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 10:59:33PM -0500, David H. Gutteridge wrote:
> Lenovo T420: installer image apparently not recognized, it simply gets
> skipped after being selected to boot from.

FreeBSD gpart has a "lenovofix" with this description:

     lenovofix	 Setting this attribute	overwrites the Protective MBR with a
		 new one where the 0xee	partition is the second, rather	than
		 the first record.  This resolves a BIOS compatibility issue
		 with some Lenovo models including the X220, T420, and T520,
		 allowing them to boot from GPT	partitioned disks without us-
		 ing EFI.

> HP DL360 G6: the first stage bootloader string flashes on the screen,
> then it gets skipped.

This one is interesting because we are already in NetBSD code that
is failing to do the right thing.