Re: [Feature Request] UUID in fstab.

30.03.2018, 16:50, "S.P.Zeidler" <spz%netbsd.org@localhost>:
> Hello Utkarsh,
>
> Thus wrote Utkarsh Anand (utkarsh009%yandex.com@localhost):
>
>>  You can use anything you like while making manual entries in /etc/fstab.
>
> On Linux: if your devices are in danger of being reordered and you
> try to get a rebootable system, sometimes UUID is the only and frequently
> the best bet.
>
> [...]
>>  As you can see, the device changed to /dev/sdd but UUID stayed the same.
>
> On a NetBSD, the NAME= also would have stayed the same.
>
> You are missing the point I am trying to make.
>
> I am not debating that we should use identifiers on media.
>
> I am saying they should not look like this:
> '4fa7a5d1-0670-4c56-90d2-c4c41139194b'
> because using '4fa7a5d1-0670-4c56-90d2-c4c41139194b' and keeping it
> apart from '4fa7a5d1-0670-4c56-90d2-c4d41138194b' is not easy.
> They should look like "mysystem-usr-pkg" instead.
>
> regards,
>         spz

1. UUIDs are system generated and can be easily assigned during
installation, whereas labels are human assigned custom values. Imagine
what would happen if two disks had the same label and the installer
placed them in /etc/fstab? Even if you make the installer show an error,
it'd be cumbersome to change it midway, during installation. So, while
installing I'd prefer UUID. Later on, while manually assigning mount
points to partition, I can use Labels, if need be. What if they had no
label (or a generic one) at all? (Some people are lazy enough to not
assign labels and let the computer do the job for them.)
2. A person is much likely to change the Label of a disk than changing
the UUID. (Let's say you named your disk PETRA. If you buy another one,
you might want to rename it as PETRA-1 and call the new one PETRA-2.)
3. Changing Label is slightly easier than changing UUID.