Subject: Re: sysinst, menuc & msgc and DESTDIR builds
To: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/23/2000 10:29:12
On 23-Oct-00 jchacon@genuity.net wrote:
> h I agree. (Try building a 1.5 system from a 1.4.2 install base.)
>
> Someone should probably tackle this post 1.5

First off..  I do that every day...  Please look in othersrc/crosscomp.

Second off.. when cross compiling.. having it manually execute things like
/usr/bin/menuc (or whatever) really bring my day to a screeching halt.. and I
usually make it a point to hunt those down and kill them whenever possible.

Take a look here:

./utils/sysinst/Makefile.inc:MENUC?=menuc

The correct thing to do here is to almost allways use the newly rebuild
menuc/mesg components.. because every time they change you have to rebuild them
anyways.  If someone is doing a destdir build, it saves them that one small
amount of pain, as it will just work for them.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>