Re: Porting Guide

On Friday, Dec 10, 2004, at 08:35 Europe/London, Jason Maestri wrote:

Okay, so this might be a dumb question, but here goes. I am currently porting NetBSD to an embedded ARM board. NetBSD always touts itself as being "the worlds most portable operating system", but I've never seen any actual documentation on porting it. Am I just not looking in the right places?

You're right, there doesn't seem to be much "official" documentation on this subject. However a number of people have written papers on their experiences of porting NetBSD, which may be useful. Check out, for instance:

http://2002.eurobsdcon.org/papers/ushakov.ps (JavaStation support in /sparc)

http://www.usenix.org/events/bsdcon02/full_papers/linden/linden.pdf (/amd64 port)

http://www.teamten.com/lawrence/291.paper.pdf (/mac68k port, pretty old paper)

Regards,