Re: Changing the default localcipher in passwd.conf to argon2id

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 at 14:37, Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 at 13:39, nia <nia%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
I want to change the default cipher in passwd.conf to
Argon2id, for these reasons:

- Argon2id is resistant to GPU-based password cracking attacks.
- Argon2id is resistant to side channel attacks.
- It allows us to dynamically scale the CPU time and memory required
  to compute a password hash, making hashes that are strong and
  difficult to crack on fast machines, while not making you wait
  an unreasonable amount of time to log in on slow machines.

The work to integrate Argon2 into NetBSD was done in 2019 and in
the past few weeks I've been cleaning up the code, making sure
we match the reference implementation, adding tests and documentation,
etc.

I've tested the Argon2 implementation and determined it's correct
and usable on:

- amd64 (Ryzen, Haswell...)
- aarch64 (QEMU)
- shark
- macppc (G4)
- sparc (50MHz, Argon2id shaves 7 seconds off login time compared to
  the current default.)

Thanks for fixing up the Argon2 implementation

I think it's a good idea, BUT I'd be a lot happier if the argon2 support was in a regular release (I know it's just the default cipher going forward, but I suspect some people have got into the nasty habit of cloning some of /etc from git or hg - maybe even cvs? :) - repos in some places, and onto various vintages of hosts)

For those of you wanting to read about Jason High's work on bringing the Argon2 routines to NetBSD, and adding them to the testing framework, please see:

(Not always easy to find using Google, for obvious reasons)

I think my MUA must be broken, as I can't see any reply to address the concerns that were raised above

I see the change was made, nevertheless, on Oct 26th

Or is the intent to discuss this in retrospect?