Re: openssl 0.9.7 in NetBSD?

itojun%iijlab.net@localhost writes:

>>>     here are differences in terms of library symbols.  it seems that the
>>>     biggest difference is rename of des_xx functions to DES_xx functions.
>>>     it has a large impact on existing codebase, i guess.  we may need to
>>>     provide aliases or whatever.
>>      DES/des functions are not renames, but API changes.  see des_old.h
>>      shipped with 0.9.7b.  we may need to supply old functions to users,
>>      for backward compat's sake (or a shlib major bump).
>
>       a split of libdes and libcrypto is clearly needed.
>       which functions have to be provided by libdes?

If the des_ api is replaced in openssl, kerberos 4 will break since its API
depend on the des_ api. Not that that will be a bad thing to get rid of
Kerberos 4.

My experince is that the compat glue for the old api might have been an
nice idea, but it doesn't work in really, its to fragile.

Love

PS I've update heimdal locally to the DES_ api, quite a simple change. but
wont be able to commit to heimdal until I've updated rest of heimdals
build structure.