Re: automatic package statistics

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 07:13:08AM +1000, Julian Assange wrote:
> opt-in would make it useless. And the sentiment is irrational. The
> way to deal with such irriational sentiment is (a) allow people
> to turn it off. (b) explain why it's irrational.

opt-in is far from useless - look how many people are 'opting-in' to
running NetBSD in the first place...

On both a legal and moral level, opt-in is the only suggestion I
would support.

> We can send packets out to port 53 to bypass many firewalls.

I would prefer to see records entered in the DNS, such as
screen.misc.pkgsrc.netbsd.org  (of whatever record type you
happen to like) - and just log the lookups. Then it is _real_
DNS traffic. (Yes, I realize domain caching isssues apply here)

I repeat, make it a mk.conf option.

--
David Maxwell, david%vex.net@localhost|david%maxwell.net@localhost --> Mastery
of UNIX, like