Re: Releases

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 09:44:05AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> We have an interesting problem for future releases.
>
> For 1.4, we had domestic US cryptography only. Because of this, we
> could release a "secr" set built out of those sources for
> U.S. consumption and be done with it. If you were in the U.S. and
> Canada you could choose to fetch secr and if you were outside you
> couldn't and just ran without.
>
> Now, however, we have both U.S. and non-US crypto. We have to make
> policy decisions about what gets put into the official 1.5 release,
> and where it gets built. This is a can of worms. Anyone care to
> brainstorm on the subject?

Sure we need to.
We certainly need non-US crypto sets to be built. We can keep the current
layout, with a base system without crypto (for peoples who can't use or
don't need crypto), to which additional optional sets can be added.

We need the non-US crypto sets to be available, so that a full-crypto system
can be easily installed from anywere. For this we need a second main
ftp server outside of U.S. (this should'nt be hard to solve) and also
hardware and manpower to build the crypto-intl sets. For some platforms
this may be a problem. An anoncvs server outside of U.S. would be nice too.

I don't have any opinions about the U.S crypto sets :)