Regional-sfba archive

Re: Visit to SF

Quoting Matthias Drochner (M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost):

> I'll attend a conference in downtown SF, starting next Friday,
> for a week (Oct 4-11). Would be an opportunity to meet for
> dinner or just a beer.
> Can anyone recommend a reasonable breakfast place not too far
> away from Embarcadero / Market St. (Hyatt), which opens
> at 8am or earlier?

Mama's on Washington Square is about a 1.5 km walk.  Walk west five
blocks along Washington Street to turn half-right onto the beginning of
Columbus Ave., then five blocks to turn haft-rignt (north) onto Stockton
Street, then two blocks to Filbert Street.  Mama's opens at 8am every
day except Monday.  Review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mamas-on-washington-square-san-francisco

You are in the famous North Beach district with many fine Italian
establshments and attractions.  After breakfast, walk west on Filbert
Street two blocks to cross to the west (far) side of Columbus Ave. and
walk just north of Filbert to Graffeo Coffee Roasting Company, where you
can have the best coffee in your life.  Review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/graffeo-coffee-roasting-company-san-francisco

On your walk back to the hotel, four blocks back (southeast) along
Columbus Ave. is the world-famous City Lights Bookstore, also worth a
stop.  Review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/city-lights-bookstore-san-francisco

As to places to gather for beer, I can recommend 21st Amendment.
Review:  http://www.yelp.com/biz/21st-amendment-san-francisco
Even better is Magnolia Pub & Brewery, but that is a bit further, about
a 4-5 km walk (but a pleasant one) west from your hotel.  Review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/magnolia-pub-and-brewery-san-francisco

By the way, if you enjoy scenic walks (and don't mind climbing a steep
hill), don't miss this one:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/filbert-steps-san-francisco
(If you _don't_ like hills, San Francisco is not the place to be.  ;->  )