Re: Xen 4.18 doesn't display on an iDRAC-6 console, and NetBSD console=pc locks up early in boot

At Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:37:40 +0100, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Xen 4.18 doesn't display on an iDRAC-6 console, and NetBSD console=pc locks up early in boot

> On the idrac I use, I can ssh to the idrac and use 'console com2' or
> 'connect com2' to connect to the internal serial port

Hmmm... interesting!  Somehow I never knew that feature!

That does work well on my older iDRAC-4 (once I learned how to find the
baud rate and started a getty on tty01 then I see a login prompt), but
it seems I don't actually have a password for this remote machine.....

> The only issue is to find the right BIOS setting to redirect what
> Xen thinks is com1 to the internal serial port.

That could be tricky with a remote machine -- especially since the idrac
Java app doesn't deal with the Apple keyboard on my desktop very well
and I can't seem to press any "control" key and get it to work -- it
seems to see them all as "capslock".  That means screwing something up
could leave me asking for onsite help.  Maybe I'll try with a local
machine, then assuming I can get the remote's iDRAC password I could try
setting it up for serial console via the second COM port.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>