Re: annual HOWTO rampage, mini edition

At Tue, 02 Jan 2024 20:19:43 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: annual HOWTO rampage, mini edition

> Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:
>
> >     Date:        Tue, 02 Jan 2024 19:09:34 -0500
> >     From:        Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost>
> >
> >   | A server may just be a way of thinking
> >
> > Yes, my comment wasn't really trying to define just what a server
> > is, or isn't - more that expecting Xen to only be used on systems
> > with serial consoles is absurd - typical laptops these days have
> > nothing serial (as in tty serial, as distinct from USB & SATA) at all,
> > unless a USB dongle is added.
>
> Agreed that it is reasonable to run Xen on systems with pc kbd/consoles
> and with serial consoles both.

Having had the experience of using Citrix XenClient when I worked for
Citrix, I agree in principle, though I'm not sure that applies to the
version of Xen that's currently available and packaged for NetBSD!

XenClient is/was a very different and much more usable user experience!

> (FWIW, my own box has a pc kbd and monitor, because that's easier than
> setting up serial to someplace else, but I only walk to it if I need to
> rescue it.)

I guess I've _always_ had serial consoles for all machines except for my
desktop workstation (and even then sometimes), with them all connected
to network-connected RS-232 console servers (or in the most early days,
plain old terminals).  The logging and remote access to the actual
console is so incredibly valuable, at least to me!  That one current
remote machine where I only have the iDRAC remote VGA console is a real
thorn in my side -- I hate it with a passion (and having to run a stupid
legacy Java app just to interact with it only adds to the pain)!

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>