Re: annual HOWTO rampage, mini edition

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:

>     Date:        Tue, 02 Jan 2024 12:39:00 -0800
>     From:        "Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.ca@localhost>
>

>   | For me I consider having to use VGA console on any server-type machine
>   | to be a last resort and worst choice over having a serial console, so
>   | I guess I'm somewhat biased against "console=pc" for Xen dom0.
>
> Why would one restrict xen to "server-type" machines (whatever they
> are in particular) - I want to be able to run xen on my laptop.
>
> kre

I am probably just adding noise, as this use case may be pretty rare,
but I did just that very thing a few years ago at a old $DAYJOB.  It was
a pure joy and I ended up with the most productive laptop I have ever
had at any $DAYJOB.

A server may just be a way of thinking and I was thinking I wanted Xen
on my laptop.  Was it a server??  Probably... but it also ran X and was
on a wireless network much of the time and I carried it around with me.
Does that make it Not A Server??  It ran NetBSD on the DOM0 and most
DOMUs, except for a Linux and MS-WINDOWS DOMU.

Fun times...

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org