Re: trouble running FreeBSD with Xen-4.13 (including weird performance issues)

At Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:45:10 -0700, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: trouble running FreeBSD with Xen-4.13 (including weird performance issues)

> 	hello.  For what it's worth, I'm running freeBSD-12.2 as a domu
> on a system with Xen-4.14.1, using FreeBSD-12.2 as the dom0.  this is
> in pvh mode for both host and guest.  I'm not seeing any issues with
> speed or reliability.  For Xen, I have all the CPU mitigations turned
> off, since I'm not worried about miscrient users.  With them enabled,
> I saw performance issues.  My xen dom0 command line looks like:
>
> xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=8192m dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0=pvh pv-l1tf=off,domu=off console=com1,vga com1=9600,8n1"
>
> I realize you're running NetBSD as dom0, but perhaps this command line
> will help.

I'll give the "pv-l1tf=off,domu=off" option a try on my next reboot.
Thanks!

That very well could be the source of the slowdown.

I also see in the 4.13 xen-command-line document that there are more
options to disable other mitigations as well:

	ssbd=force-disable
	spec-ctrl=no [OR spec-ctrl=no-xen]
	l1d-flush=
	srb-lock=

Have you tried any of these too?

There's also "vpmu=on" which might enable use of performance monitoring
counters in domUs.

> Also, I'm runing NetBSD-5.2, NetBSD-9 and NetBSD-current as domu's on
> this system as well, all AMD64.  NetBSD-5.2/i386 (32-bit) doesn't seem
> to work in this environment.  I've not yet investigated NetBSD-9/i386
> as yet.

I forget if you've mentioned it before, but are you using any LVM
volumes as storage for domUs?

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>