Re: How to get xenconsole working on freeBSD-12 without burning up vnc ports or extra tty ports

At Thu, 18 Mar 2021 15:55:28 -0700, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: How to get xenconsole working on freeBSD-12 without burning up  vnc ports or extra tty ports

> 	xc0 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" xterm onifconsole secure
>
> The ttys(5) man page says that flag causes the terminal to only be
> active if it is the system console.

That's what I guessed.  I think NetBSD could make good use of such a
feature too.  I always have to fiddle with /etc/ttys when I set up a
system with a serial console but I also want a login prompt on the
initial VGA console screen.

> I didn't use it because I want
> the xenconsole to be active, not the vnc console.  I'm pretty sure
> that will activate a vnc console.

No it won't activate VNC in any way.

All /etc/ttys affects is what programs init(1) starts, and what
devices it opens for those programs.

So that line just says to start a getty(1) process on /dev/xc0, which
will just print a login prompt to that device and then read any username
that's sent by the device.

Since it would seem /dev/xc0 is the actual underlying device for the Xen
PVHVM console this line should do almost the same as the line you
suggested, but it'll do it in a way that's compatible with other entries
that could also be underlying /dev/console (depending on the (virtual)
hardware configuration), e.g. those for "ttyu0" and so on.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>