Re: Utility of PV on non-obsolete hardware

Cherry G. Mathew <cherry%zyx.in@localhost> writes:

  I have a theory that it may help with dom0 qemu emulation and backend
  driver threading. For NetBSD dom0, both should make a difference. Would
  look forward to your numbers once we have them.

Makes sense; a PVH Dom0 will speed up any HVM DomU I/O.

Here are the latest numbers.  Except for bwl, k10, glm, these are for PV
NetBSD 8.0.  Older NetBSD guests are all PV for now.

https://gmplib.org/~tege/xenstat/20190404/

(New measurements come in each night for <= 3 systems (European time
zone) reflecting any config change which may have been made in the
meantime.  I will generate a new .../xenstat/2019XXXX/ after each night
to make sure changes have effect and I cause no significant
regressions.)

I enabled virtio-net now, was re0 before.  Disk still plain, though.  I
also set TMPDIR to point to a tmpfs, which should significantly reduce
I/O involving qemu.  No data for these changes yet.

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622