Re: Installing Linux guest...

On 11 March 2015 at 15:23, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Anthony Howe <achowe+netbsd%snert.com@localhost> writes:
>
>> I want to install a Debian Linux into a file image.
>>
>> Is there some way to get the Debian install media to start, if I extract
>> the xen/vmlinuz kernel from the .iso and use it to start the install so
>> I can then complete the rest of the install into the file image?
>
> First you have to choose HVM vs PV.   With PV, you'll need a kernel, and
> you'll need not just a Xen PV kernel to install, but one that behaves
> the same way as the non-xen install kernel on the iso, which probably
> has a miniroot etc, or maybe it mounts root from the iso.  The NetBSD
> XEN3_DOMU_INSTALL kernels have the same install miniroot.
>
> It may be easiest to use HVM mode and then pivot to PV after install.
>
> If you figure this out, please send details.

Thats how I switched a bunch of CentOS xen DOMU VMs to Ubuntu.

HVM install config:

name = "ubuntu32"
memory = "256"
disk = [
  'file:/opt/xen/ubuntu14.04.img,hda,w',
  'file:/opt/xen/ubuntu32.img,hdb,w'
]
vif = [ 'mac=02:00:00:00:01:dd, bridge=bridge0', ]
vcpus = 1
builder='hvm'
vfb= [ 'type=vnc' ]
on_crash="destroy"
on_poweroff="destroy"
on_reboot="restart"

Post install

name = "ubuntu32"
memory = "256" # 1870 Matches Rackspace '2G' server
disk = [ 'file:/opt/xen/ubuntu32.img,xvda,w' ]
vif = [ 'mac=02:00:00:00:01:dd, bridge=bridge0', ]
bootloader = "/usr/pkg/bin/pygrub"
vcpus = 1