Re: Installing Linux guest...

Anthony Howe <achowe+netbsd%snert.com@localhost> writes:

> I want to install a Debian Linux into a file image.
>
> Is there some way to get the Debian install media to start, if I extract
> the xen/vmlinuz kernel from the .iso and use it to start the install so
> I can then complete the rest of the install into the file image?

First you have to choose HVM vs PV.   With PV, you'll need a kernel, and
you'll need not just a Xen PV kernel to install, but one that behaves
the same way as the non-xen install kernel on the iso, which probably
has a miniroot etc, or maybe it mounts root from the iso.  The NetBSD
XEN3_DOMU_INSTALL kernels have the same install miniroot.

It may be easiest to use HVM mode and then pivot to PV after install.

If you figure this out, please send details.