Re: xen 4.5.0 packages available

Miguel Clara <miguelmclara%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> I don't think we should refuse to stop, especially at shutdown.  Instead
>> there should a) be a fix - this is just broken or b)  an explicit
>> failure to restart.
>
> Broken?
>
> I tough this was by desing?

Yes, I did mean broken.   All programs that I know of can start and stop
repeatedly, including routing protocol daemons, mail daemons,
filesystems, and really everything else.  It seems like an obvious
requirement for normal operation.

I can certainly see that this might have been a bit tricky, and don't
fault people for putting it last, but I really don't see how it makes
sense as a design.

> In linux, and even freebsd dom0 xenstored can not be restarted, and the
> init script does not attempt to stop it, IRRC this is how it works on linux
> since 4.2 (I might be mistaken here).

Do you understand why this is so hard to fix?  Generally kernel
interfaces deallocate on close and can be reopened.