Re: pv-grub?

2012/2/10 Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>:

> It seems there is "pv-grub", which is grub compiled to use
> paravirtualized ops, and one can set that as the kernel for a domU so
> that the actual domU kernel can be obtained from the domU filesystem;
> this seems like a big win for a VPS setup where the user has no dom0
> access.
>
> But, i can't find pv-grub in pkgsrc; it seem it comes with xen.   Is
> there a package?

I've been looking for some time to get stubdoms to compile under
NetBSD (pvgrub is a stubdom domain), but the stubdom build code is
targeted at Linux, and I haven't been quite successful at porting it,
if someone knows how to compile newlib under NetBSD that will be quite
helpful

Does it even work with a NetBSD dom0 (I would think it
> wouldn't matter which dom0 one uses)?  Does it compile under NetBSD, or
> is there a linux binary someplace?  Is anyone using it?

You can use a pvgrub compiled under Linux without any problems, since
stubdoms are independent from the host system they have been compiled
on. What I'm not sure about is the status of stubdom support under
NetBSD, maybe xm or xl will need some tweaks to use pvgrub correctly
(haven't tried it, it might work ok out of the box).