Re: Xen 4 DOM0 with -current i386/amd64 rejects kernel?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:11:28PM -0600, John D. Baker wrote:
> >Don't give up!  I'm definitely doing what you're looking to do,
> >though I don't use a PAE dom0 kernel, only amd64.
>
> >From my previous attempts with XEN3.3 on i386, XEN detected PAE support
> by the CPU and complained when handed a non-PAE dom0 kernel, even though
> there was otherwise no benefit to do so (hardware max of 2GB RAM).  (All
> the machines I can potentially work with have intel processors.  All
> report PAE capability--from pentium III on up.  Those (few) that support
> EM64T are running the amd64 port; the others, i386.)

This is normal: starting with Xen 3.3 (or maybe was it 3.2 ?), Xen
dropped support for i386 without PAE completely. And the domain
kernels have to match the Xen kernel (including dom0): if Xen is
build with PAE support, the domains have to use PAE kernels.