Re: ec2 amis

On 02.03.2011 18:20, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Jean-Yves Migeon <jean-yves.migeon%espci.fr@localhost> wrote:
>
>> I will upload the 5.1 ones in a few hours, for all regions.
>
> I see http://wiki.netbsd.org/amazon_ec2/ now lists ami-fe7c8f97, which
> comes up and looks good, but I discovered the following slight problem:
>
> # ls -l /dev/null
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Mar  2 17:15 /dev/null
> #

Borked pkg_add. I chroot()ed in the partition for 5.1, and executed a
pkg_add bluntly, which creates /dev/null through a pipe redirection.
Will fix that for other regions too.

> It'd also be really neat if we could have an AMI with both pkgsrc and a
> populated /usr/src.

Hmm. I have a problem there. While I can maintain NetBSD x.y
approximately sane from an "up-to-date" point of view, I won't rebuild
AMIs just for the fun of repackaging src/ and pkgsrc/ on a regular basis.

> I'm looking into building such an image myself following the
> instructions on the twiki, but if anybody else beats me to it, I'm sure
> others would find that useful.

Beware of packaging AMIs this way, unless you intend to maintain them in
the long run by regularly reuploading/cvs upping the image. Compared to
stable releases, src and pkgsrc are moving targets, and you can quickly
get out of sync. I/Os are not free. That's something I would rather
"externalize" to those that want to have them.

I still believe that providing a quick and easy way to download and
extract pkgsrc/src would be neat inside base, but that's a separate matter.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost