Re: HVM support in sysutils/xentools33 included?

* Cc: list amended

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Jens Rehsack wrote:
2010/8/5 Stephen Borrill <netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost>:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Jens Rehsack wrote:

xentools33 includes HVM support. xentools3 is an older Xen version.

Yes, but I wondered why SDL is commented out. I couldn't get any guest
booted without sdl (I've removed the comment and rebuild xentools33).
Maybe I made something wrong, but neither openbsd nor fedora guests
giving me a console window. As far as I understood, vnc could help me
out, but when this is the only way, why it's not a dependency?

qemu, which is used internally in the Xen HVM tools, provides a console via
VNC natively.

But not via X11?

Not via X11 directly, no.

Or must I explicitely configure when I wish a text console only via xterm?

Text console only is probably best done as a PV guest, not HVM. So you use xm create -c config or xm console domU-name once running.

Here's what I have at the end of my HVM configuration file:
sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 0
vncunused = 1
vncpasswd=""
vnclisten='127.0.0.1'
keymap='en-gb'
usb=1
usbdevice='tablet'

Also the version difference between net/vnc and net/vncviewer confuses me.

net/vnc is the server side. You can use net/vncviewer to speak to an HVM Xen
domU.

"vncviewer localhost" will work with the above configuration (for the first
domU).

So I should create some aliases (.2, .3, .4) on my lo0 interface and can have
multiple guests at the same time?

No, you use different display numbers (same as port numbers less 5900) so vncserver localhost:1, etc. You can either use vncused=1 which just finds the next available display or hardwire them with vncdisplay=x

--
Stephen