Re: Device 769 (vbd) could not be connected

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:38:45 +1000, Sarton O'Brien
<bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost>
wrote:
> Here's my config for debian that I can confirm boots fine:
>
> # cat debian
> kernel = "/vmlinuz-2.6.30-2-686-bigmem"
> ramdisk = "/initrd.img-2.6.30-2-686-bigmem"
> memory = 256
> name = "debian"
> disk = [ 'file:/usr/pkg/etc/xen/debian-tmp.img,xvda,w' ]
> vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0'  ]
> root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"
> extra = "xencons=tty1"
> #extra = "init=/bin/sh"
>
> Straight off, I'd say you are missing the initrd, which is required
> (assuming it has the relevant modules) to access the filesystem.
> Typically this results in a panic.
>
> Also, you are using a relatively old linux version, I'd recommend using
> the automated debian install and replacing the install kernel/initrd
> with the ones downloaded when updating, as I have. I had them available
> online for a while but my web server is currently offline. Anyway, HTH.

The kernel version does not really matter here; hotplug scripts are used
to prepare the environment for the domU, by mounting image files, creating
and configuring tap/xvif devices, etc. When the scripts report errors,
start process does not proceed further, and the domU kernel never gets
called.

FWIW, they reside under etc/xen/scripts.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost