Re: domU install question

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Manuel Bouyer
<bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:50:21AM -0400, Brent Verner wrote:

>>   Everything seems to work fine except that there are no partitions
>> created on the xbd0 drive within the domU, nor can I see any partitions
>> on the device from dom0.  Is this the normal behaviour of the installer?

> Didn't sysinst offer you to create partitions ?
> Note that NetBSD doens't use fdisk-style partitions: it will create
> one large fdisk-style partition for the NetBSD space, which will then
> be subdivised using disklabel-style partitions.

  ISTR this being the case, too, from past installations on file-backed
'tap:aio' domUs, but I don't haven't tried installing that way this time
(fdisk output from domU and dom0 at end of this message).  I'll try
installing to a file-backed domU early next week to see if that behaves
as expected.

  Is the domU configuration below correct for domU to see
a "whole drive"?  Is there anything special that needs to be done to the
LV (/dev/vg0/xen-3-root) in dom0 for this to behave correctly?  I've
tried pretty much everything from zeroing out the LV to creating one
large fdisk partition before installation.

  root = 'xbd0d' # also tried xbd0, xbd0a...doesn't seem to make a diff.
  disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg0/xen-3-root,hda,w' ]

cheers!

root@domU:~# fdisk xbd0
fdisk: Cannot determine the number of heads
Disk: /dev/rxbd0d
NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 20000, heads: 1, sectors/track: 2048 (2048 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 40960000

BIOS disk geometry:
cylinders: 1023, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 40960000

Partition table:
0: <UNUSED>
1: <UNUSED>
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
No active partition.

root@dom0:~# fdisk -l /dev/vg0/xen-1-root
This disk has both DOS and BSD magic.
Give the 'b' command to go to BSD mode.

Disk /dev/vg0/xen-1-root: 20.9 GB, 20971520000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2549 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

root@dom0:~#