Re: vifs not working?

(I've been using the 2008Q1 packages, on the theory that that's the closest approximation to in sync with
4.0; do newer xen packages (a) work with 4.0 and (b) fix things?)
There's an incompatibility between the latest xentools and the 4.0 release kernels. So it's current or release but nothing in between :( ... well reliably anyway.
On a -current dom0 kernel:

The main problem is that xenbackendd isn't invoked at all, therefore the scripts never run.
xenbackendd listens for XS_WATCH_EVENT, but those never come.

In xen/xenbus/xenbus_xs.c:process_msg  I see two type of events:
XS_READ and XS_ERROR for a block device (vbd).

I'm not seeing this. xenbackendd is running fine for me

I re-started xenbackendd with -d and now I see, the scripts are invoked.
I see $xstatus have the values 1 and 5. The scripts handle 2 and 6.
That makes the user look like the scripts not working.

Christoph