grub install?

I'm trying to follow the instructions in
http://www.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto.html.  After finally getting the
NAT in front of the machine to go away enough for FTP to work, I got
all the packages installed (furrfu, but it needs a lot of crap!), I
have the packages installed.  So I started setting up the rest.  I
created /grub/menu.lst, then ran grub --no-floppy.  But...well,

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

This isn't what the howto says; it seems to expect stage1 to already be
present.  Presumably there's some grub installation step I missed, but
I sure can't see one in the howto.  What am I missing?

Also, the howto talks about a lot of things that have to be in the root
filesystem.  It would really help if it were clear on the distinction
between the root filesystem and the boot filesystem; at least a few of
these things that it says to put in the root filesystem I know enough
to know must actually go in the boot filesystem.  (Because of the
half-gig grub issue, I have a tiny boot filesystem, with root on a
raidframe one-element autoconfigure-as-root RAID 1 so I don't need
kernels built with special "config ... root on ..." clauses.  But it
does mean that my root filesystem is not my boot filesystem.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost