Re: vifs not working?

>> Okay, after a hand from two helpful listmembers, I've managed to get
>> xen to start.  dom0 seems to work just fine.  But there's something
>> wrong when trying to run domU machines: I can't make the network
>> work.  [...]
> I can't say that I've experimented much outside the standard
> configuration but it's my understanding, due to the inability to
> utilise pci devices within a domu, that a bridge interface is
> required for a vif to materialise.

I'm fairly sure this is not the case.  When I "xm network-attach" a
networkless domU, both the xennet and vif interfaces show up, and they
work just fine as far as I've been able to tell (ping, ping -f - I have
only a few minutes to play with them before xm errors and they go away
again).  I'm giving serious thought to running xm network-attach and
then stopping the xm process, in the hopes that it's where the timeout
is happening and that that will make the interfaces stick around.

I may try a bridge, but if vifs _must_ be bridge members in order to
work, something is cripplingly busted.  I suppose I could leave any I
don't want bridged in one-member bridges, but that is quite definitely
a workaround, not a fix.

I don't see what PCI access has to do with it; nothing says there's a
PCI bus anywhere in sight.

I also wrote

>> Appended after my signature below is dmesg from the domU machine
>> (taken after an attempt to use xm network-attach on it).

and then neglected to include it.  Fixed herewith.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
    2006, 2007
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 4.0 (XEN3_DOMU) #0: Sun Dec 16 01:26:00 PST 2007

builds@wb34:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4-0-RELEASE/i386/200712160005Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/XEN3_DOMU
total memory = 128 MB
avail memory = 121 MB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
mainbus0 (root)
hypervisor0 at mainbus0
vcpu0 at hypervisor0: (uniprocessor)
vcpu0: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) (686-class), 400.91 MHz, id 0x665
vcpu0: features 183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR>
vcpu0: features 183f9ff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX>
vcpu0: features 183f9ff<FXSR>
vcpu0: I-cache 16 KB 32B/line 4-way, D-cache 16 KB 32B/line 4-way
vcpu0: L2 cache 128 KB 32B/line 4-way
vcpu0: ITLB 32 4 KB entries 4-way, 2 4 MB entries fully associative
vcpu0: DTLB 64 4 KB entries 4-way, 8 4 MB entries 4-way
vcpu0: 8 page colors
debug virtual interrupt using event channel 3
xenbus0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Bus Interface
xencons0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Console Driver
xencons0: console major 143, unit 0
xencons0: using event channel 2
npx0 at hypervisor0: using exception 16
timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
Xen clock: using event channel 4
timecounter: Timecounter "xen_system_time" frequency 1000000000 Hz quality 10000
crypto: assign driver 0, flags 2
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 1 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 2 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 3 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 4 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 5 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 17 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 6 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 7 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 15 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 8 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 16 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 9 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 10 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 13 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 14 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 11 flags 0 maxoplen 0
crypto: driver 0 registers alg 18 flags 0 maxoplen 0
raidattach: Asked for 8 units
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
xenbus0: using event channel 1
xbd0 at xenbus0 id 1: Xen Virtual Block Device Interface
xbd0: using event channel 5
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
xbd0: 4096 MB, 512 bytes/sect x 8388608 sectors
Searching for RAID components...
boot device: xbd0
root on xbd0a dumps on xbd0b
mountroot: trying lfs...
mountroot: trying ffs...
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
root file system type: ffs
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
init: copying out flags `-s' 3
init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
xennet0 at xenbus0 id 0: Xen Virtual Network Interface
xennet0: MAC address 00:16:3e:5a:a7:ee
xennet0: using event channel 6
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
xennet0 detached