Re: init receiving SIGILL on XEN3_DOM0/amd64

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 01:43:04PM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:
When the CPU sends an illegal intruction trap, I guess.

In that case, I have a wild guess:
sysenter is an illegal opcode on amd64. The difference is, AMD CPUs throw an exception, Intel CPUs don't.
Is sysenter used somewhere?

I don't think it should be for amd64 binaries.
i386 binaries may, but only if I686_LIBC is defined.

No, sysenter is legacy mode only. sysenter is also an illegal opcode
in compat long mode.

> Otherwise int $0x80 is used.

That is slow.

Christoph