Re: Questions about networking

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:38:28PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:32:13 +0100
> Quentin Garnier <cube%cubidou.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 should be plenty enough.  After that,
> > it really depends on the topology of your network.
>
> Ok, so the dom0 box has to be a gateway too, but if my xvifX.X iface
> is configured as:
>
> 10.0.0.254 netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> Do I have to use these values in domU?

No, but you have to choose an address in the same network.  It works
just the same as tap(4).  Just imagine the domU is a different computer
linked to dom0 with a cross-over Ethernet cable.

> > FWIW, this afternoon when I could take a try at booting a domU, I used a
> > modified vif-bridge script to do bridging by doing this:
> >
> > vif = [ 'mac=lalala, bridge=bridge:bridge0:fxp0' ]
>
> Does this need a patch? or can I use that right now?

As I said, I modified it.  I'll post the diff tomorrow when I'm back at
work.

> > The meaning of the bridge parameter is the following:  first it starts
> > with bridge to distinguish between plain ifconfig case and bridge case,
> > then it bridges the vif interface with fxp0 on bridge0, creating it if
> > necessary.  I'll send it tomorrow if you want.
> >
> > BTW, xentools20 package needs some work (and should include such a
> > script).  Also, it really needs to default to 127.0.0.1 for the relevant
> > daemonized parts, I've patched mine for that.  I'll have a closer look
> > at this during the next few days.
>
> Yes, I've created a few modifications too (plus updating it to 2.0.5),
> I'll try to share them after the pkgsrc freeze.
>
> BTW, this package should honour PKG_SYSCONFDIR for the files
> (currently it doesn't).

Clearly.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost