Re: Re: NetBSD version in Xenolinux ?

Hi !

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> I did install the NetBSD/xen (available from xen ftp site) on a
> xenolinux 2.0. I didn't try to install a "standard" NetBSD/i386 (let say
> from some ftp mirror .../NetBSD-daily/..).
> nice thing about this try, debian/linux is domain0 so I did create a
> diskimage (with dd) and format it with mkfs.ext2 (as no mkfs.ffs
> exists), then mount the image file, untar all netbsd/xen sets and guess
> what... netbsd boots on a native ext2fs :p it may not be such a big
> surprise but I was really please of that :))

It's not a big surprise about Linux not having clue about ffs, but NetBSD
having clue (and i heard even the better implementation) of ext2 :)

But nice to hear, and also a good hint, as i for now didn't find a working way
to get NetBSD running in any Xen domain, as there is no console output and the
domain stops working quite fast. I never found this xen12loader anywhere in
binary form. But maybe i find the time this weekend to check out everything a
bit further, as my boss wants to know the results of my Xen eval :)

> Another bit of my question was, as xen12load never compiled on
> NetBSD_2_0_RC5/i386
> when I wanted to try netbsd/xen as domain0, I saw netbsd-GENERIC and
> netBSD-xen
> where available in xen FTP site. Is this distrib "good" for booting and
> installing
> directly a NetBSD/domain0 ? of course I could try but if anyone says no,
> this saves some time :)

I would try, it it's for Xen 1.2. Trying doesn't really cost, as you can start
with an NFS root for dom1. I'll try to compile all this stuff as soon as i have
all packages i need built for NetBSD 2.0-release :) Maybe the boxes are ready
with this by the weekend, currently i'm building for alpha and i386 here, and
at least KDE 3.3.0 takes quite a while to build on my hardware.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX