Re: NetBSD on SIMH, but not microvax3900

(Oh, I should probably point out that I usually boot with a "boot rq" and nothing else/more.)

  Johnny

On 2024-03-07 21:43, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Physically, one could never get 128M in an 11/780. However, architecturally VAX supports up to 512M. So it shouldn't really be a problem.

I'm running NetBSD under simh as an 8650. Works fine. But it was probably something like 2 years since I last updated my simh code. And I can't remember when I did the actual installation of NetBSD, so it was way long ago. But anyway, it works fine for me. But I'm running it with 64M set up.

My full simh config looks like this:

=============
set cpu model=8650
set cpu 64
set cpu idle=netbsd
set rq0 rauser=8192
set rq1 rauser=8192
set rq2 rauser=8192
set rq3 rrd40
att rq0 bsd.dsk
att rq1 bs1.dsk
att rq2 bs2.dsk
att rq3 bsd.bup
att cs console.dsk
set xu ena
set xu type=delua
set xu mac=aa:00:04:01:16:04
att xu en0
set rl dis
set rp dis
set cr dis
set lpt dis
set hk dis
set ry dis
set tu dis
set ts dis
set dz lines=8
att dz 43
set cons pchar=ffffffff
set cons wru=1f
#boot rq/r5:10008

Happy to try and help more, if people are completely stuck. But at the moment I'm not sure what the problem might be...

However, note that until very recently, /boot was broken, and I used to have to run /boot from ancient times. But the latest checkout works fine. And it was not a toolchain issue, as it failed to boot even with a cross compiled binary.

   Johnny