Re: Reproducable kernel crash

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 05:08:17PM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> Ken Wellsch writes:
> > I have to apologize.  I have come to enjoy the cross-building process
> > so much that I uncommented the DIAGNOSTIC in the GENERIC kernel and rebuilt
> > an ISO, assuming that the kernel config file was also a dependency.  I guess
> > that is not the case, or at least did not work for me as expected.
>
> what specific commands did you run?  these are basically 2
> things for building a kernel you need:  tools (once), and
> kernel (each time).  eg:
>
>    ./build.sh -j8 -Uu -m vax tools kernel=/home/mrg/configs/_vax_
>
> to do both, and any update after i'd do:
>
>    ./build.sh -j8 -Uu -m vax kernel=/home/mrg/configs/_vax_
>
> (there are dozens of commands to build.sh like "tools" or
> "kernel="... it's really really great :)
>
> this _should_ re-config the kernel each time, so if you
> just ran "nbmake-vax" in the build dir, that won't re-run
> config(1) (nbconfig in the tooldir) like kernel= will.
>

> .mrg.

I had run a little script once (without DIAGNOSTIC) to create the initial
ISO I used, then for the second test, I edited GENERIC to uncomment the
DIAGNOSTIC flag, and simply reran the following set of commands (in a
script).  It only takes about 15 minutes to finish, I should have done
the "right thing" and just removed the "obj" directory to be sure it was
clean.  I realize the "kernel" line is unecessary as it appears that a
"release" build builds all of the kernels anyway.

  ARCH='vax'
# ARCH='sparc'
# ARCH='alpha'
# ARCH='pmax'

if [ ! -d ~/obj.${ARCH} ]
then
        mkdir ~/obj.${ARCH} || exit 1
fi

cd src || exit 1

./build.sh -j32 -U -u -O ~/obj.${ARCH} -m ${ARCH} tools
./build.sh -j32 -U -u -O ~/obj.${ARCH} -m ${ARCH} kernel=GENERIC
./build.sh -j32 -U -u -O ~/obj.${ARCH} -m ${ARCH} release
./build.sh      -U -u -O ~/obj.${ARCH} -m ${ARCH} iso-image