Re: Clock drift and other open issues: Collecting information

>> That's one reason I tend to use sysctl for querying, and sysctl -w
>> for changing, resource limits.  (The other is that the syntax is
>> significantly less shell-dependent.)
> The problem with that is that you can deal with the hard limits, but
> tricky with process limits.  The classic "what commands must be
> built-in in a shell".

proc.$$.rlimit (rather than proc.curproc.rlimit) is your friend in that
regard.

The "what commands must be built-in" applies only when there's no
interface that lets a separate process affect the settings for the
shell.  When the interface is setrlimit(), that's so, but with sysctl a
child process _can_ affect the shell's resource limits.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign