Re: Clock Error

On 2023-12-19 23:54, Ken Wellsch wrote:
It probably is a crazy thought, but I am curious whether you have enabled
a network device and have it active or not.

Yes, networking is on, and I'm usually telnetting in to the simulated VAX
running NetBSD.

You do not have networking on the simulated machine?

No.  I have tested creating a tun network device and that works, but I
was not able to find a way to successfully run SIMH as non-root doing so.

I'm just directly hooking into the physical ethernet. No trickery. And I have no issues running as root.

Other than running ntpdate, I really don't need the network.  So, for
the build I am running, the XQ device is disabled in SIMH.

Since I want to connect to the machine from multiple places, as well as transferring files, networking is more than a little useful.

I have telnet via dz/simh enabled - that is using networking to the host
machine and talking to SIMH that is then emulating a serial connection
via a DZ port on the running VAX OS image. :)

I do not like the telnet simulation on serial ports. But it is an option, yes.

I have been doing the build from the console interface rather than a telnet
session as I wasn't sure whether SIMH is also emulating the DZ port baud
rate too.  The console does not appear to be doing so anyway.

I think with simh v3, you don't have any of that trickery. It's all in v4. And there is equally applies to the console, I seem to remember.

Also I don't have any packages installed, so no screen to cover my
behind if I were to loose the telnet session during the long build...

Not using screen either.

/usr/src/build.sh build >& m.log &

and then I can check the progress from anything, anywhere. And it won't abort unless there is an error. And I do have the output from whatever happened preserved.

Running directly, interactively, seems to me to be something not so desireable. If I want to see what happens in real time, I just do a "tail -f /usr/src/m.log"

I mentioned emulating networking as I have a vague recollection that DEC
really wants your network card as close the the CPU as possible. That
makes me wonder, to what length is the NetBSD network device driver going
to avoid missing an interrupt etc if in fact the DEQNA is that "delicate."

That should/could not be an issue. The clock is internal to the CPU. You can never get the network closer. But proximity to the CPU also only matters when you have several devices at the same interrupt level on the Unibus or Qbus. In my case, since my emulation is of a 8650, it's a Unibus (so emulating a DELUA). But the clock is still CPU internal, and not on any bus at all.

But it's also a case of what interrupt level this has on the CPU. I can't remember what the clock interrupt sits at, but it seems very unlikely that interrupts would be locked out long enough that interrupts were missed, if that is even possible inside simh. I haven't looked at the simh code, but I suspect it might actually try to ensure that interrupts aren't lost. There is a lost clock interrupt status bit, which would get set if an interrupt is generated while another is still pending. So the simulator knows if it would in fact loose the interrupt. And since simh needs to twiddle clock interrupts anyway, I would expect it to be smart around this.

  Johnny