Re: PSA: Clock drift and pkgin

On 2023-12-19 16:20, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2023, Johnny Billquist wrote:

   Which is exactly why I keep writing we ought not be doing this (if we do)
and should rely solely on the high-resolution timer for timekeeping.

No real disagreement there, except if you mean something like the DS1287 then
I'm not sure I agree on the definition of "high resolution timer".

  The DS1287 is an example source of the timer interrupt with some systems
where a high-resolution timer has to provided separately, just as with the
4000/60.  By no means I find the DS1287 itself a high-resolution timer.

Ok. Then we agree, and I'll drop that. :)

I would still think that if you have the full ICCS and ICR register in the VAX, it is better than such a chip, or probably any chip.

   Conversely what I have been concerned with is incorrect operation with
actual hardware, and then this specific one.

Did anyone actually report results running on a 4000/60?

  Me, earlier on in this thread.

Great. Sorry that I didn't remember. How did the clock behave for you?

  I do have a 4000/90 too, but it suffers from an issue I yet need to debug
where it ever boots NetBSD 9 from local storage only once.  Then the OS
corrupts itself somehow in storage such that any subsequent attempt to
boot causes the firmware to fail:

Weird. I have a 4000/90, and have never observed such issues. But now it's a few months since I last spun it up. I plan to test it out with the current updates after christmas.

Personally, I've been
running on a 4000/90, where time is not working well. But that one would be
depending on the ICR. But I haven't checked if it actually do have a proper
ICR. Does anyone know?

  It does, implemented in the NCA.

I was reading the NVAX chip documentation, and it apparently is partly dependent on external support. So I tried to find specific documentation for the 4000/90, but didn't manage to find anything so far.

  NB I worked with Mike Uhler (the lead designer of the NVAX in case you
didn't know), who was the manager of our group at MIPS UK back in early
2000s, and knowing his absolute technical insight I'd have no doubt he
wouldn't let such an important architectural feature out of the NVAX
microarchitecture.

Very cool/nice. But as observed, the NVAX don't have it built in as such. So it might, or might not exist on a specific machine, depending on external bits. The NVAX itself only guarantees that the ICCS exists, and can generate 10ms interval interrupts, which is the basic requirement for any VAX. The documentation for the NVAX chip is on bitsavers.

  Johnny