Re: PSA: Clock drift and pkgin

Den 2023-12-14 kl. 00:34, skrev Johnny Billquist:
I would agree with all your observations and comments, Maciej. And it reminded me that I have indeed observed quite some jitter in the past myself.

So it would seem to not be a simple case of lost interrupts, because that should not be possible for the clock to run fast from.

One hour over 100 days is a deviation of about 2%. I think that is possible, but it wouldn't explain the jitter.

As for the high frequency clock in the VAX, I'm not sure it is used at all by NetBSD. But it's been quite a while since I was digging around, and if someone knows it is being used, I'd be happy to hear. But I think we have several problems that should be sorted. And for me, the first one would be to understand how on earth we can be spending so much time in system mode when we do anything.
I'm quite sure that all VAXen that have a hires clock uses it in time difference calculations. There are two of them; the ICR version and the clock chip version. See clock.c for more info.

-- R