Re: pbulk bootstrap: `awk` running into FP overflow during bison build (Grater picture: How to bootstrap pkgsrc / pbulk?)

Den 2023-08-07 kl. 18:49, skrev Johnny Billquist:
On 2023-08-07 13:34, Anders Magnusson wrote:
Den 2023-08-07 kl. 13:31, skrev Maciej W. Rozycki:
  Overall I think we ought to support both, but it might be a bit tricky on
the toolchain side, as it's an ABI issue to sort out.  Did any machine
actually implement H_floating in hardware, or was it only ever emulated?
The 780 had H-float in hardware.  Actually, it had all instructions in hardware (microcode).

The 780 had H-float as an option, I think. The 730 might always have had it, but otherwise the default answer for me for any of these questions is always the 86x0. It had everything in hardware (well, ok, microcode), except things like vector instructions, which hadn't been defined when the machine was sold. Fairly sure it was the machine with the most of all VAX stuff done in hardware.

Hm, maybe, long time ago.
I remember there was a floating point accelerator (on both 780 and 750), but everything was in microcode if the accelerator was not present.

-- R