Re: pbulk bootstrap: `awk` running into FP overflow during bison build (Grater picture: How to bootstrap pkgsrc / pbulk?)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023, Mouse wrote:

> > awk: floating point exception: Floating point overflow
>
> It's a guess, but, this _could_ be an attempt to use a value like
> 1.5e308, within range for IEEE 64-bit but well out of VAX D-float range
> (VAX F-float and D-float range are both approximately that of IEEE
> 32-bit).  If so, someone is probably trying for "larger than any
> possible actual value".

 I think it's more likely that an algorithm expects a division by zero or
a range overflow to silently produce an infinity or NaN rather than trap.
It would be interesting to know what AWK program the interpreter chokes
on.

  Maciej