Re: NetBSD in SIMH vax with 512 MB RAM

Before you boot from fixed disk or CD-ROM into NetBSD or the installer. If you set the simulator to 256mb RAM. You get sensible SHOW MEM/FULL at the sarge prompt.

257mb and up you don't. 16mb is available.

patched ka655x.bin ROM issue?

Regards,
Al Boyanich

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> wrote:
> The 1GB limit is because of the layout of the registers for the
> memory mapping.  [21 bits for the PFN in a PTE]

> This got an update on the NVAX, where a different format PTE was
> defined, in which you have 25 bits for the address.  [...]

> As for the division between memory and I/O space, I guess it could
> have been done differently on different implementations, but the
> complexity it would have implied in software if that had been done
> was probably not something DEC wanted.  So in all machines I've ever
> looked at, the I/O space starts at 512M.  Physical memory is always
> below that.

What happens for machines that have more than 512M of physical memory
(like that 7000 at LSSM)?  It can't _all_ be below the 512M point!

/~\ The ASCII                             Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
/ \ Email!           7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B