Re: New Vax - future directions :-)

Den 2021-07-07 kl. 00:21, skrev Dave McGuire:
On July 6, 2021 4:26:28 PM Paul Koning <paulkoning%comcast.net@localhost> wrote:
On Jul 6, 2021, at 2:12 PM, Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
Curious - what would the commercial implication be if, say, a new
VAX architecture were to take shape in the FPGA world?
Commercial?  None, probably; it strikes me as unlikely that anyone has
any commercially relevant applications for VAXen, and if there are any
they are probably severely hardware-specific (eg, existing custom Qbus
hardware) and thus irrelevant to Ragge's FPGA VAX.
VMS is still a commercial product, supporting a (probably small) company.  Come to think of it, there are even people who earn a living, or part of one, from PDP-11 systems.

If someone wanted a Q-bus VAX, tacking a QBA onto the side of Ragge's design is probably a pretty small task.
   I am having serious thoughts about doing a system-level design around this. Probably not Qbus but some sort of useful VAX.
Well, feel free to go ahead :-)  I'm open for anything.

-- R