Re: New Vax - future directions :-)

First, I have to say that I can't imagine there are many places left where such interesting discussions can take place. I'm loving all of this :)

That said, I'm mostly interested in seeing what future directions could help the current state of VAX. The biggest issue I see when running bulk pkgsrc builds are floating point exceptions stopping builds. Usually this is because the build process tries things that usually never happens in real execution, which makes me wish for either:

1) alternate exception handling that allows continuing with and handling infinites and NaNs, which is doable with emulation / FPGA

and/or

2) IEEE 754 floating point emulation that isn't just soft-float, but uses the built-in FPU to do most of the work

If floating point were addressed, and if OpenSSL is fixed, we'd have many, many more packages built ;)

(If anyone wants to look in to OpenSSL, please do. I tried, but I don't know what to do when gdb dumps core...)

John