I would otherwise expect just one CSR, which is whatever the KFQSA have, and then all disks are accessed through that.

That's how things usually work with controllers and MSCP. The controller have a CSR. Disks have unit numbers. One controller can control multiple disks, but they need to have unique unit numbers for/on that controller.

  Johnny

On 2020-11-16 02:10, James Robinson wrote:
Hi Johnny,
Just getting back to the VAX, so here is what I did and am thinking.
I have a KFQSA installed in my VAXServer 4000-200 and configured for 2 disks.
set host/uqssp/maint/serv 0
? set 0 772150 21
? set 1 760334 21
? set 6 KFQSA

I was going to run a DSSI cable from the left bulkhead connector on my VAX chassis to the front of the KFQSA's board connector. This I hope will allow me to jumper my internal chassis DSSI bus with my 2 hard drives, to the KFQSA. Seeing that the KFQSA is supported in NetBSD and the controller on the KA660's SHAC is currently not, I was hoping to boot via the KFQSA. I see that my KA660's SHAC is set to id 7 and that is why I chose id 6 for the KFQSA.
Does this sound about right?
Thanks,
James

    On 2020-07-19 15:06, James Robinson wrote:
     > I know the on board DSSI controller is not supported. But can I
    use a
     > Q-Bus version (m7769) and jumper over to the internal bus to get
    access
     > to my drives?

    Not sure what jumpers you are thinking about, but yes, the KFQSA is
    just
    a normal MSCP controller from the computer point of view. So it works
    (but see below).

     > I think I would need to configure it as controler 6 because the
    SHAC is
     > at 7.

    Not sure what you are talking about here. The KFQSA sits on the Qbus,
    and connects to DSSI disks. If you plan to connect both DSSI
    controllers
    to the disks, then yes, one should be unit 6 and the other 7.

     > Or should I just get a SCSI card and not use the internal drives.

    Obviously all up to you... :-)

     > Or better yet, help finish the port for the SHAC controller.... :-)

    That would also be nice. I have had a long term plan to get the
    whole CI
    code from Ultrix ported over to NetBSD. Obviously this might not be
    possible to distribute as is, since it's copyrighted. But it would be a
    start. However, I have been too busy with other things, and meanwhile
    NetBSD have deteriorated some.

    Anyway, I happen to have a KFQSA, and last I tested it with NetBSD, it
    ran for a while, but NetBSD got stuck after some time. I think there
    are
    some bugs somewhere that either plays badly with the KFQSA, or else are
    buggy in some other way (having two UDA-50 on two separate Unibuses on
    an 8650 also do not work).

    So there is some chance that you will not find things very usable in
    the
    end anyway, even with the KFQSA.

        Johnny

-- Johnny Billquist                  || "I'm on a bus
                                        ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt%softjar.se@localhost <mailto:bqt%softjar.se@localhost>             || Reading murder books
    pdp is alive!                     ||  tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol