RE: KA410 Boot Failure

Previously:
>>> For 3.1.1 I have been running totally diskless, as I only recently
>>> repaired my RD53.
>>>
>>> Here's the output from the console for the NetBSD 9 bootloader:

>>> - ESA0
>>>
>>> %VMB-F-SCBINT2, PC = FF817800, PSL = 041F0008
>>>  85 RESTART SYS
>>>  84 FAIL
>>>
>>> Yes, with the tapes, I went all the way back to 1.x with no luck.
>>> But I'd have to log another session to get any good output.
>>
>>There is a KA410 emulator at https://github.com/simh/simh You should be
able to just:

>>$ install libpcap-dev package for your host platform $ make
>>microvax2000
>>
>>As root (so pcap can access the raw Ethernet device):
>># BIN/microvax2000
>>sim> SET NAR MAC=MAC of your physical KA410 SHOW ETHERNET SET XS ENABLE
>>sim> ATTACH XS ethN <where N is one of the outputs displayed by SHOW
>>sim> ETHERNET BOOT
>>
>>The above assumes the host system you're using has a wired network
connection.

>> If this gets further than your above mentioned boot effort on your
physical
>> hardware, then there is likely a problem with something on that
hardware...

>The emulator didn't work so well, even with the known good 3.1.1 boot on my
MOP server.

>That said, my boot and system diagnostics do indicate a problem with the
interrupt
>controller/ethernet id rom, although the maintenance manual does not seem
to be
>available online, so I can't diagnose the problem.  Even so, NetBSD 3.1.1
runs fairly
>well, especially since I upgraded the RAM.  However kernels above 6 tend to
complain
>about stray interrupts, sometimes before the kernel has even finished
>network.  Kernel 4 seems to work and kernel 5 hangs at boot after
initializing rd0.
>That's all on the physical hardware.

So, I've dug into this further -- reviewed the VARM, the KA410 Technical
manual and
performed additional testing and I'm unconvinced that the hardware is at
fault.  When
netbooting 8 and 9 kernels, the stray interrupt is at vector 18, indicating
a reserved
operand interrupt.  The VAX MACRO and Instruction Set Reference Manual ([1])
suggests
no fewer that 16 reasons why this could occur.  I'm going to dig into the
VARM and the
EXAMINE command a bit, but wanted to share this in case someone more
knowlegdable goes
"aha" upon reading.

[1] -
http://h30266.www3.hpe.com/odl/vax/opsys/vmsos73/vmsos73/4515/4515pro_040.ht