RE: KA410 Boot Failure

Hi Josh,

On Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Josh Moyer wrote:
> For 3.1.1 I have been running totally diskless, as I only recently repaired my
> RD53.
>
> Here's the output from the console for the NetBSD 9 bootloader:

> - ESA0
>
> %VMB-F-SCBINT2, PC = FF817800, PSL = 041F0008
>  85 RESTART SYS
>  84 FAIL
>
> Yes, with the tapes, I went all the way back to 1.x with no luck.  But I'd have to
> log another session to get any good output.

There is a KA410 emulator at https://github.com/simh/simh
You should be able to just:

$ install libpcap-dev package for your host platform
$ make microvax2000

As root (so pcap can access the raw Ethernet device):
# BIN/microvax2000
sim> SET NAR MAC=MAC of your physical KA410
sim> SHOW ETHERNET
sim> SET XS ENABLE
sim> ATTACH XS ethN <where N is one of the outputs displayed by SHOW ETHERNET
sim> BOOT
>>> BOOT ESA0

The above assumes the host system you're using has a wired network connection.

If this gets further than your above mentioned boot effort on your physical hardware, then there is likely a problem with something on that hardware...

Good Luck.

- Mark