Re: NetBSD/vax compiler bounty?

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, Martin Husemann wrote:

> But I think the expected end result should be that gcc can compile itself
> natively on VAX, which hasn't been true for upstream gcc for more than a
> decade (I guess), and for the patched version in our sources since gcc 4.8
> (at least).

 Native compilation should certainly be possible, although a well-equipped
machine and a lot of patience would be required (or running on a
simulator).

 However for lone QA regular regression-testing with a cross-compiler and
a remote test machine ought to be sufficient, similarly to many of the GCC
ports targetted to less capable or bare-metal configurations.  I plan to
set up something like that sometime (don't hold your breath), however
meanwhile I can help other people with configuring it with their
environment as I've done it on many occasions with various equipment.

  Maciej