Re: Native builds?

> On Aug 29, 2018, at 10:27 AM, Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
>
>> The VAX port has had some problems in its instruction generation at times.  $
>
> Maybe there's not supposed to be, but practice has differed on at least
> a few occasions; I recall one time when vax was broken for a long time
> because native builds (ie, on real hardware) crashed while cross-builds
> worked.  (Or at least that's what was reported on the list; at the time
> I had no working VAXen in shape to run anything on.)

It makes perfect sense to have native builds fail if the underlying bug
is a bad-code error in the compiler, and the compiler itself contains code
that invokes the bug.  A way to check would be to see if the error occurs
on an FFS instruction with a bad operand.  That was the issue fixed in the
change to builtin.md I referred to.

If yes, then the fix would be to rebuild a native gcc (via cross-build)
and verify that the resulting gcc can now correctly execute a native build.

	paul