Re: Native builds?

The VAX port has had some problems in its instruction generation at times.  I remember some discussion about one, including possible fixes I think -- something to do with INSV instructions?  I would assume the bug you ran into is simply one of those, a wrong code generation error that would show up in any run, native or cross.  There's nothing about native vs. cross that affects how code generation works.

Some internal compiler errors are tricky, but illegal instruction ones tend to be not all that hard.

Are there active VAX port maintainers?  While GCC is a large program with complex internals, the target part is fairly small and pretty well documented.  Taking up maintenance of a simple port like VAX is quite doable.

Given that I don't think this has to do with native vs. cross, I would say that one should care.  I have enough of a spare time sink being pdp11 target maintainer so I'm not going to volunteer for this one.  For those who understand VAX well, I'd suggest picking up the GCC Internals manual and reading chapters 17 and 18, that's the basics of what you need to know to tackle this.

	paul