Re: Native builds?

I said "port maintainer", that was a wording mixup.  I meant gcc target maintainer.  The GCC source tree shows Matt Thomas as the (only) gcc vax target maintainer.  I'm not sure how active he is at the moment.  Others can submit fixes too, they just need approval from either the target maintainer or a global maintainer.

Which gcc version is the one doing the building?  The current (in development) gcc is 9.0; latest released is 8.2.  If NetBSD is running something older it might not have some target fixes.

Checking the logs... there is a bugfix in the operation that generates an "ffs" instruction, correcting the constraints.  That rings a bell.  It's dated 2017-06-29.  I'm not sure how to tell whether that is in the 8.x release.  You could check the sources in the NetBSD tree; the fixed code looks like this, in gcc/config/vax/builtins.md:

(define_insn "ffssi2_internal"
  [(set (match_operand:SI 0 "nonimmediate_operand" "=rQ")
	(ffs:SI (match_operand:SI 1 "general_operand" "nrQt")))
   (set (cc0) (match_dup 0))]
  ""
  "ffs $0,$32,%1,%0")

The magic is the "nrQt" in the third line, which specifies what operand forms the machine will accept in that instruction (as the third argument of the ffs opcode in this case).

	paul