Re: 8650s, was Re: Some more patches for GCC on NetBSD/VAX coming soon...

On 2016-04-09 18:45, Anders Magnusson wrote:
On 2016-03-30 19:45, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 03/30/2016 09:17 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
And I suspect I might be the only remaining person keeping an 8650
alive
and running, so I can understand if it's not the default target, but
please keep it as an option to target these older machines as well. (I
have all instructions implemented in the hardware... :-) )

   On this note, if you point me toward an 8650 (or any other large VAX)
I'll happily grab it and run it, at least periodically, at the Large
Scale Systems Museum. B-)

"Grab" is not a word I would use in the context of an 8650... :-)
Probably around 500 kilos or so, and a couple of large cabinets. It
requires 3 phase power, and the power system differs between US and
European models.

That said, it's a fun machine. And we have a second one, but that one
have a few faulty power supplies...
We managed to "burn" an 8650 once :-/
The cooling fans were run by 3-phase motors, and one we started had the
wrong order of the phases in the 3-phase plug, which caused the fans to
spin in the wrong direction.  It didn't take too many seconds before the
machine were overheated :-/

IIRC it was a card with ECL logic that failed.  We managed to get a new
one.

(I sortof remembered when you did that. :-) )

It's a lot of ECL in there. But there are air flow sensors and temp sensors which should have shut the machine down when you had the fan running backwards.

	Johnny