Re: Some more patches for GCC on NetBSD/VAX coming soon...

On 2016-03-30 08:21, Jake Hamby wrote:
I'm looking at a few remaining issues in the recent update in NetBSD-current to GCC 5.3, which overall appears to be an improvement over 4.8.5. I dropped GCC-patches from the CC list because I don't think 98% of the subscribers to that list care about VAX, while I know that 100% of the subscribers to this one do. ;-)

Excellent work, and yes, I suspect people here will care. :-)

By the way, among the "few remaning issues" I would include that NetBSD cannot build natively. gcc crashes out... I already posted about this.

There are a few other smaller issues with GCC & binutils that I'm looking at cleaning up, but overall, I think NetBSD/vax is in as good of shape as it has ever been. One thing I think would make sense as far as tidying up GCC's vax.md & vax.c is that I think most hobbyists are using CVAX and NVAX-based systems, or related, am I correct? I have a VAXstation 4000 VLC as well as the Model 90, and it seems like other people on the list have something from that era, as opposed to anything pre-Micro VAX. What I'd like to do is use the GMP harness to benchmark, in addition to GMP and MPFR themselves (yes, I want to update the tuning files that haven't been touched in 20 years in those libraries, too), the number of clock cycles of the different flavors of move, copy, compare, add, etc. on a CVAX and an NVAX system and then add compiler flags if the two are wildly different from each other.

I don't really agree with the shape is better than ever before. Not being able to build natively is a bad state, even if it has been like this for a couple of years now...

And I suspect I might be the only remaining person keeping an 8650 alive and running, so I can understand if it's not the default target, but please keep it as an option to target these older machines as well. (I have all instructions implemented in the hardware... :-) )

	Johnny